Product review for Exercise for Frail Elders
Top 10 Balance Exercises for Seniors at Home. STOP FALLS.
Actively Aging with Energizing Chair Yoga – Seniors get Moving with Sherry Zak Morris
Chair Exercises for Seniors – Senior Fitness – Exercises for the Elderly
Easy Qigong & Easy Tai Chi – Senior & Elderly Exercise
Honda Walking Assist Devices
How to sit to stand with the aid of a walker.
Elderly Waiver Basic Program Overview – Minnesota DHS 2019
How to Massage the Upper Arm of an Elderly Person – Massage Monday #239
The New Old Age: How the body ages and how to keep it young — Longwood Seminar
2017 01 25 Frailty Assessment of Older Canadians Using Emergency Services with Tablet Technolo
As the older adult population increases, so does the demand for fitness professionals who understand the capabilities and special needs of seniors with illnesses, disabilities, chronic disorders, and sedentary lifestyles. Exercise for Frail Elders, Second Edition, is the only exercise fitness guidebook that focuses on working with frail elders and adults with special conditions. It is an invaluable resource for improving functional fitness, maintaining aspects of independent living, and enhancing quality of life.
With Exercise for Frail Elders, Second Edition, readers will gain a deeper understanding of 14 medical conditions common to older adults, how these conditions may affect participants’ ability to perform activities of daily living, and what exercises can help them maintain and increase functional fitness. This book focuses on special needs stemming from conditions including arthritis, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, hypertension, orthopedic issues, osteoporosis, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
The updated second edition provides a broader focus on balance, a critical component of any functional fitness program, to aid in designing classes that incorporate various stability exercises. Exercises that provide significant benefits to balance are indicated with a symbol to ensure effective program design. Additional features of this edition include the following:
· Learning objectives at the beginning and review questions at the conclusion of each chapter provide a framework for understanding.
· Reproducible forms provide readers with easy-to-use appraisals, questionnaires, and exercise logs for evaluating clients.
· Checklists and reference charts highlight key areas of concern and consider specific needs when planning functional fitness programs for clients.
· Guidelines and safety precautions for special conditions and how they apply to range-of-motion exercises, resistance training, aerobic exercise, and stretching have been updated.
· Specific exercise instructions, including variations and progression options, show professionals how to add interest and challenge for participants.
· Suggested resources encourage exercise leaders to continue their education.
To enhance learning and program development, the text is divided into two parts. Part I covers planning an exercise program for frail elders or adults with special needs, including knowing the needs of class participants, motivating students to exercise, and keeping them safe while participating. It also offers strategies for success, including basic class structure creating a sense of fun and community. Part II covers implementation of a successful program, including course design, warm-up and cool-down, and exercises for range of motion, resistance training, aerobic training, and stretching, with their variations. Over 150 photos illustrate safe and effective execution of the exercises.
Exercise for Frail Elders, Second Edition, is an easy-to-follow resource for working with elderly individuals in assisted living and nursing homes, rehabilitation facilities, hospitals, day centers, senior centers, recreation and community centers, and home health care environments. This unique guuide has the hands-on information necessary for creating safe and effective exercise programs and understanding medical disorders, safety precautions for specific disorders, and implications for exercise. Readers will learn to design and teach a dynamic fitness program for older adults—and keep it fun, safe, and functional—with Exercise for Frail Elders.
- Hardcover: 336 pages
- Publisher: Human Kinetics; 2nd ed. edition (March 7, 2014)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1450416098
- ISBN-13: 978-1450416092
- Product Dimensions: 9 x 1.2 x 11.5 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.5 pounds