Product review for Handbook of Occupational Safety and Health
Workplace safety and health is serious business. In workenvironments where the safety and health of employees is asignificant issue, a major leadership challenge is to instillshared, companywide values that establish the safety, health, andwell-being of each individual as a paramount concern of thebusiness. Now in its second edition, the Handbook of OccupationalSafety and Health, originally edited by Lawrence Slote, remains anessential first source for quick, practical answers on this pivotalworkplace issue.
Concise chapters detail specific issues of biological, chemical,and physical hazards to workplace safety and health, and alsoaddress a broad spectrum of management concerns including training,workers' compensation, liability coverage, and regulatory matters.While adhering to the requirements set by the Occupational Safetyand Health Act (OSHA) of 1971, the authors of this volume advocatea progressive approach that exceeds basic compliance withestablished regulations. Chapters emphasize not only workerprotection through safe equipment and management supervision, butalso the safety training of workers. Throughout, contributorsstress the need to align safety and health concerns fully with acompany's business objectives, offering insight into how these dualinterests can be integrated.
With many chapters structured in an accessible "how-to" format,even those professionals inexperienced in occupational safetyissues can rapidly gain a practical knowledge of the particularconcerns of their industry. For launching or updating acomprehensive workplace safety program, or for assistance withconfronting specific problems when they occur, the Handbook is anideal starting point for assessing risks and initiating proactivemeasures to prevent accidents in any industry.
A new edition of the one-stop source for practical information onoccupational safety and health.
Now expanded by more than 50 percent, this Second Edition of theHandbook of Occupational Safety and Health, originally edited byLawrence Slote, demonstrates how to control hazards to safety andhealth in many types of work environments-and how to deal withinjuries when they do occur. It features 30 concise chapters thatenable even those not formally trained in occupational safety toget up to speed quickly, plus more than 150 helpful illustrationsthat complement the text.
With up-to-date contributions from occupational physicians, publichealth professionals, legal experts, and specialists in areasranging from chemicals and radiation to noise exposure, thiscomprehensive Handbook presents a complete program of effectiveresponses to a vast range of occupational safety and healthproblems. It includes:
* An overview of the field and its recent advances, with a clearexplanation of managerial roles and responsibilities for safety andhealth
* Five sections on a variety of issues-safety evaluations, healthassessment, control practices, physical hazards, and legalaffairs-that make it simple to pinpoint information quickly
* How-to advice-step-by-step guidance on how to conduct an accidentinvestigation, maintain a quality medical surveillance program, andmuch more
* Chapters on the prevention of specific hazards such asdermatoses, heat stress, radiation, respiratory illness,andinfection
* Includes updated material based on chapters from Patty'sIndustrial Hygiene and Toxicology, Fourth Edition